Thursday, November 5, 2009

Public Potty Tips




Being the mom to a newly potty trained 2.5 year old I've struggled with getting the hang of going potty in our own home. Potty, wipe, flush, wash. Then I realized once I left the comforts of my own home, my step-stool and into the "unknown" of public restrooms that it gets scary.

For those moms who are preparing to take their little ones on the public potty here are a few tips and suggestions I hope you take with you.

A few of my momma friends have actually purchased travel potty seats, a mini toilet cover fold-up version so the kiddos bums don't have to touch the existing seat. A lot less actual work in the potty. You can find some here: http://www.mypreciouskid.com/potty-seat-cover.html

Most, but not all, public restrooms have the paper toilet seat covers that are a life saver when you don't want to hold your little one over the toilet in mid-air. Beware, occasionally the seat cover will fall in if you don't place it correctly and nix all your plans for a germ free-ish potty session. In my search I also found disposable potty covers (like the free ones but better) and these ones even stick to the seat with adhesive tabs! Check them out: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009QYSO4/ref=asc_df_B0009QYSO4955539?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=googlecom09c9-20&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B0009QYSO4

Now we don't have these and if you use the potty seat covers this may be going a little overboard, but if you're really freaked out by germs then you may want to think about getting some Potty Mitts. Looks like they cover your child's hands so they can grip the potty but not have to worry about what's getting on them. I wonder if they make holding on more difficult though, they look a little slippery. Perhaps an upcoming review idea??? If you want to buy some Potty Mitts I suggest these: http://www.amazon.com/Potty-Mitts-Disposable-Hand-Covers/dp/B000ZZCANU

and if all else fails there's the good ole standby: Toilet Paper. Here's a trick I like to use while I toilet paper the potty like it's Halloween on steroids. After trying to get into the largest stall available, (it gives you more space to not bump into anything and keeps little hands further from the yuckies,) I look for a drain, or colored tile, something that I can assign Little Miss to stand on that's hopefully just out of reach from everything. I double and triple paper each side (including the front) of the potty so she has a spot to put her hands and does not have to touch the actual seat/base.


A few smaller tips I also like to use in the community potty sessions are: putting paper towels under my arm so I have them ready immediately after Little Miss washes so her shirt, pants, shoes don't get too wet. Also hand sanitizer, hand sanitizer, hand sanitizer.

What are your tips for using the public restrooms with your children??

1 comments on "Public Potty Tips"

Unknown on November 5, 2009 at 8:09 PM said...

I had never thought of some of this...but I guarantee I'll be mummy-wrapping hands now!!

Post a Comment

 

MommyB Knows Best Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez